Monday, December 27, 2010

Day 363

So today I woke up as usual at 5:30am with my precious hubby Nathan.  By the fire and in the quiet of the pre-kid madness I finished up the book I have read annually at Christmas for the last 5 years.  It is "Shepherds Abiding" by Jan Karon.  A part of the Mitford series, it is a delightful read.  It always helps to put me in the mood, or keep me there :-).

Although Father Tim (from the book) would think this almost blasphemous to think about, plan, and talk of Christmas year round he would appreciate my love of the blessed, holy days.  I think he would also approve of my desire to honor Christmas and it's true meaning.   "Indeed, it seemed to be the wont of most people in a distracted and frantic world to blast through an experience without savoring it, or, later, reflecting upon it" (pg. 175-Shepeherds Abiding).

Something I already knew from my days of worshipping in a UMC church is the beauty of the liturgical calendar.  Honestly, it's something I miss at Mtn. View.  According to the liturgical calendar there is a season that is a pre-cursor to Christmas.  It's Advent and means "coming".  It starts on the Sunday after Thanksgiving and continues for four Sundays.  Each Sunday a candle is lit in an advent wreath that symbolizes something unique.  Usually the candles are three burgundy and one pink (the third week) with the Christ candle in the middle being white.  So by week 4 you have all but the center candle burning.  The Christ candle is lit on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day (depending upon your specific tradition).  There are devotions or homilies that correspond with each Sunday in Advent.  Also many Advent devotionals have been written.  This is a time to prepare your heart, mind, soul and home for the coming of the Christ child.  It is a beautiful tradition one that we have honored in our home some years, but I vow to make it an ANNUAL tradition at the Flint home regardless of our curch denomination or preferrence.



Then on December 25th the SEASON of Christmas begins.  No Christmas isn't just ONE day.  The season extends from the 25th of December through the 6th of January when Epiphany is celebrated.  Epiphany symbolizes the Wise Men or Magi coming to honor the Christ Child.  It is a time of enlightenment and allowing our hearts and lives to be enriched by an encounter with the KING. This time period also allows for the "12 Days of Christmas".  Most people think those are the days leading up to Christmas but they aren't.  Isn't it wonderful to know that you don't and shouldn't take the tree down on December 26th.  Christmas trees and decorating...that's another post :-)

So I was challenged afresh and anew through the reading of this book to HONOR Advent, Christmas AND Epiphany.  I was encouraged to make Christmas special and Holy.  I found it wonderfully romantic that in the book Christmas was full of surprises, family and faith.  This is the way Christmas should be and often is in our house.  Let me explain...Unfortunately I think that Nathan and I have allowed the surprises just to be for our children.  Next year I pray that as we exchange gifts that the wonder and surprise of the incarnation can fill our home and even the "grown-ups" can participate in that.  Not vicariously by watching our kids open presents, but by creating, planning, purchasing, making, recognizing the beauty of gift giving one to another.

If you haven't read the Mitford series you really should.  Savor each book.  Enjoy the characters and allow their lives to enrich your own.  When you get to Shepherds Abiding I KNOW you'll love it.  Be blessed.  Be encouraged.  Keep celebrating loved ones.  Christmas isn't over.  IT'S ALIVE!!!

In Him,

Janelle

No comments:

Post a Comment