Sunday, January 2, 2011

Clearing Space

Day 357:

I wrote about yesterdays celebration. It was a glorious time of sharing, laughing, eating and gift giving. Don't get me wrong I am blessed to have given AND received, but I don't think my family realizes just HOW much stuff we already have and HOW much more stuff we have to fit in this house. Since we can't get rid of any people (hahahaha) we MUST get rid of stuff. That's what today is about...clearing space. So there is a family rule of when one new toy, movie, piece of clothing comes in one goes out. I wish I could say that I'm always RIGHT on top of this and enforce this rule diligently, but alas, I don't.

Well we woke up a little later than usual and it was very nice. We decided not to attend church today. We have been finding homes for all of the gifts we were given. The kids have been working on their room. I have been working in the babies room and kitchen, while Nathan has been cleaning the bathroom. I mean REALLY cleaning. There is more to be done today, but we all took a lunch break and I wanted to jot down my thoughts while I had the time. There will be a grocery shopping trip and a meal out at Cheddar's together later today. Nathan is treating us!!! How fun!

There is a spiritual lesson though in the midst of all of this cleaning. It isn't "cleanliness is next to godliness". I think that's a crock anyway. What's going on here at least in MY heart and mind is that we need to find a home for what is important. Yes we are "downsizing" our physical home, but why? I am trying to teach my children to appreciate what they have, to be good stewards to give, save, spend and to not take more than you need. I am trying to instill in my children to love the things of the Lord and NOT the things of this world. So....if old, too small, not needed, broken things, unused and unwanted items take up space in our closets, rooms and hallways what does our heart look like????

I have clutter taking up space in my heart. I would love to tell you that Jesus sits atop his throne right in the middle of my heart and that the path to worship Him is clean, clear and free of the debris of life. It isn't. I am consumed with the daily grind. I am overwhelmed with life. I do not find time to sit at His feet as I did in past days. I am too busy looking at the things that keep me from Him instead of focusing ON Him and walking past the clutter. I need to have a "clean sweep" of my heart as to make a path to my king. I miss HIM!!!

Yes I want a clean house. I cry almost EVEY day at the condition of my "lived in" abode, but when was the last time I wept over the lost time with my Lord? I am so blessed. I have so much...TOO much. God I repent that I have not worked on keeping my heart clean and free of clutter. Forgive me Lord for allowing the things of this world take precedence over You. I am so sorry. Please give me the grace to change. Holy Spirit give me the desire to seek the face of my Lord first and foremost EVERYDAY. 

In 2011 I am GOING to make more room in my house, de-clutter and clean.  I am ALSO going to make it a priority to clean my heart and make MORE ROOM FOR JESUS!!!  How can I live an abundant life if I am stuck in the mire of my "stuff"????  Help me Emmanuel!!!

Here is Vs. 1 of a Christmas Carol that speaks to my heart on this issue

Thou didst leave thy throne
And thy kingly crown
When thou camest to earth for me,
But in Bethlehem's home
Was there found no room
For Thy holy nativity:
O come to my heart Lord Jesus;
There is room in my heart for thee!

Bryan Duncan does a WONDERFUL arrangement of that carol. 

Make Room for Him,

Janelle

No comments:

Post a Comment