Thursday, January 6, 2011

Loving the Unlovely

Day 353:

Today I realized once again that I am the "unlovely".  It wasn't the homeless woman at the convenience store.  It was ME.

On the way home from Upward Cheer leading practice the kids (Jesse went to watch his sister) wanted to stop at the F & J and get a Gatorade.  As I pulled into the parking lot I noticed her.  She was as disheveled as usual.  Yet tonight she was alone.  She usually walks several feet behind her partner/mate whatever he is.  She was smoking and talking to herself quite loudly in an indecipherable language.  I made the hasty decision NOT to get out the car.  As she begin to walk toward me I was filled with fear.  I locked the doors and pulled out quickly.  I tried to explain to the children why we couldn't go into the store.  JoyAnn and Jesse are familiar with this lady.  She walks all over Swannanoa.  JoyAnn speaks kindly to me and says "Momma, she's just poor.  Maybe there was something you could have done to help her." 

Perhaps she was right.  Maybe I could have helped her.  Granted I feel as if I made the right decision regarding my safety and the safety of the children on a dark, freezing night.  She obviously was drunk or stoned or both.  Maybe she is mentally ill.  I know her soul is troubled.  But it DID get me to thinking about opportunities I might have in the future to help her or others who are in need.  Am I willing to love the unlovely?  Am I willing to go where they are and to share with them love, warmth, physical nurture and the love of Jesus? 

Isn't that was Emmanuel came for?  Isn't that what Christmas is about?  My heart is full tonight as my head hits my nice, soft pillow in my warm house.  How will I look for or handle opportunities to love the less fortunate, mentally ill, homeless, needy and unwanted people in my community?  Lord, help me to be aware of this need and give me grace to teach my children to love those people too.  Because YOU DO!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment