Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Jesus in a Box

Day 355 and 354:

So how can one honor Christmas year round but take down the decorations?  LOL...hahaha

It was TIME.  This year we had to put a small, four foot tree ON our dining room table so the boys wouldn't get it.  It was "cute".  Not the tree I would have loved to have, but it served our purposes.  Nonetheless, it took up almost our ENTIRE table.  Which was frustrating because that is where home school happens and we couldn't eat meals together at the table as a family.  So yesterday we began to take down all of our decorations.  Not nearly as much fun as putting them up in my humble opinion. 

This got me thinking. I mean I was putting baby Jesus in a box.  OK...its a stretch, but how many times have I done that metaphorically and spiritually?  How easy it has become for me to compartmentalize my life.  I mean I don't allow Jesus to permeate and participate in all areas of my life.  There is Jesus...you can find him at church of course.  You can find Him in Bible study.  You can find him in deep discussion at LIFE group.  Yet, he's harder to find in dish washing, diaper changing, homeschooling, loving my family, driving on the interstate :-), dealing with bill collectors....see what I mean?  If I say I love Jesus and am a follower of His teachings AND call Him Lord of my life why can't I see Him, hear Him, feel Him in everything I do?  I try to do things in my own power and strength.  I want to worship Jesus at the manger when it's full of wonder and awe, and I want to worship Him at the cross and tomb as he became the redeemer and atoner, but I don't want to worship him when it might have been an ordinary day.  Did Jesus ever have an ordinary day???  Or was EVERYDAY a miracle because He walked in His Father's footsteps? 

Lord, forgive me for not allowing you to have every little nook and cranny of my heart.  Forgive me Lord for STILL trying to do things on my own even after ALL of these years.  I repent Lord and ask that you would give me grace to worship you in the ordinary.  To allow you to be present in ALL things.  Maybe as a reminder I'll keep the baby Jesus figure from our nativity out this year and I'll randomly put it in different rooms as a reminder that He's with us.  He TRULY is EMMANUEL!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment