Saturday, January 8, 2011

Candy and Snow

Day 351:

Tonight Nathan and the kids made cannolis using one of the recipes from the book the kids bought Nathan. It is the book written by "Buddy" the Cake Boss. I must admit that they were NOT good. No offense to my lil' chefs, but they just weren't what I was thinking. Honestly they were a texture nightmare. Nathan did the mixing and we used premade shells. Maybe that was it. These shells, although not expired, tasted as if they had been in an old fallout shelter since the cold war. YUCK! Maybe we'll try again, maybe not. However, the experience was sweet. This makes me think about baking and cooking. I really would like to do more baking during the holiday season and give them as presents. We received QUITE a generous amount of goodies for Christmas. Why is it that people only bake and give in December???? So the kids and I are going to change that. Year round we are going to cook, bake and bless others with our goods. Why not? Who doesn't like receiving something warm and yummy. Also I want to learn to bake and make healthy foods. I have plenty of time to research, learn and practice during the next 12 months. There is something special about spending time together as a family in the kitchen. I pray we can do it more often.




Day 350:

It's snowing AGAIN!!! We got 2 inches overnight and will probably get another 1-2 today. Many people I know don't like the snow. They complain. They fuss. They wish it away. Granted snow can cause delay, frustration and dangerous driving conditions. However, snow does one thing that is glorious in my humble opinion. It makes people slow down. Physically, mentally, emotionally. I wish that more people were able to view snow days as a chance to rest, relax and regroup. Yes I know that I don't have a job outside of the home. I don't have kids in public school. I can't "relate" to some reading this blog, but I am grateful for the chance to rest whenever I have it.

One of my favorite memories from the Christmas season of 2010 was the opportunity to sing Winter Snow at the church Christmas program. This song talks about exactly what I mean when I say that we should REST during the snow. We should REST in our relationship with Jesus and recognize his grace as the Winter Snow. I'm gonna share it (again if you read my other blog) and pray you are blessed.


No comments:

Post a Comment